by Daphne MacNeil
I have recently been asked the following questions:
What is one book that left a lasting impression on you?
What are some books that you recommend to others?
Who are your favourite authors?
These questions sent me on a journey. A journey that caused me to search high and low for the not so obvious hiding places of all of my books. Upon reviewing my collection, I began to list the names of the books that I had read in 2014. As I scanned the growing number of stacks of books, key themes/categories begin to jump out at me. My book collection begins to tell its own unique story ~ a story that will form the bases of another 1, 2 or 3 future posts.
For now I will leave you with a short-listing of books that I have read over the past year (2014) and a bit. Books that have left a lasting impression upon me for a variety of reasons. Books whose authors share something in common with me; authors who in some way shape or form, became mentors along the path which I have chosen ~ my life’s journey.
- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
- Power vs Force by David Hawkins
- Return to Love by Marianne Williamson
- A Woman’s Worth by Marianne Williamson
- Quiet by Susan Cain (I have signed up to the Quiet Revolution which Susan is leading)
- Daring Greatly by Brene Brown
- The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success by Deepak Chopra
- Super Brain by Deepak Chopra
- Drive by Daniel Pink
- The Untethered Soul by Michael Singer
I leave you with this quote:
“Not that the story need be long, but it will take a long while to make it short.” ~ Henry David Thoreau
This quote speaks to me today as I appreciate the amount of time I invest in writing and researching each post before publishing .
Practice makes perfect ~ Happy Sunday!
Curated by: Daphne MacNeil
The following quotes are from individuals who have inspired me throughout my lifetime. I hope their words of wisdom will inspire you as you reflect upon: your life; the year that is coming to a close; and the New Year that is filled with untapped potential.
- “Mountaintops inspire leaders but valleys mature them.” ~ Sir Winston Churchill
- “Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other.” ~ John K. Kennedy
- “Would you like to save the world from the degradation and destruction it seems destine for? Then step away from shallow mass movements and quietly go to work on your own self-awareness. If you want to awaken all of humanity, then awaken all of yourself. If you want to eliminate the suffering in the world, then eliminate all that is dark negative in yourself. Truly, the greatest gift you have to give is that of your own self-transformation.” ~ Lao Tzu
- “Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, What are you doing for others?” ~ Martin Luther King
- “Leadership is not magnetic personality – that can just as well be a glib tongue. It is not “making friends and influencing people” – that is flattery. Leadership is lifting a person’s vision to higher sights, the raising of a person’s performance to a higher standard, the building of a personality beyond its normal limitations.” ~ Peter F. Drucker
- “It’s not the absence of leadership potential that inhibits the development of more leaders; it’s the persistence of the myth that leadership can’t be learned. This haunting myth is a far more powerful deterrent to leadership development than is the nature of the person or the basics of the leadership process.” ~ James Kouzes and Barry Posner
- “I think we need the feminine qualities of leadership, which include attention to aesthetics and the environment, nurturing, affection, intuition and the qualities that make people feel safe and cared for.” ~ Deepak Chopra
- “We don’t need giant personalities to transform companies. We need leaders who build not their own egos but the institutions they run.” ~ Susan Cain
- “In a gentle way, you can shake the world.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi
- “Vulnerability is the birthplace of love, belonging, joy, courage, empathy, and creativity. It is the source of hope, empathy, accountability, and authenticity. If we want greater clarity in our purpose or deeper and more meaningful spiritual lives, vulnerability is the path.” ~ Brené Brown
- “Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own.” ~ Paulo Coelho
- “Truly inspiring leaders get results by their own example: They encourage others to be responsible and do the right thing, but not by proclaiming and bragging about their unimpeachable management. They create space for others to be inspired and to achieve their own greatness.” ~ Dr. Wayne Dyer
- “At any moment, you have a choice, that either leads you closer to your spirit or further away from it.” ~ Thích Nhất Hạnh
- “Only do what you feel called in you heart to do, and then give all of yourself to the task.” ~ Marianne Williamson
- “Life will give you whatever experience is most helpful for the evolution of your consciousness. How do you know this is the experience you need? Because this is the experience you are having at the moment” ~ Eckhart Tolle
- “We all have the extraordinary coded within us, waiting to be released.” ~ Jean Houston
- “As you take a few minutes each day to quiet your mind, you will discover a nice benefit: your everyday, “ordinary” life will begin to seem far more extraordinary. Little things that previously went unnoticed will begin to please you. You’ll be more easily satisfied, and happier all around. Rather than focusing on what’s wrong with your life, you’ll find yourself thinking about and more fully enjoying what’s right with your life. The world won’t change, but your perception of it will. You’ll start to notice the little acts of kindness and caring from other people rather than the negativity and anger.” ~ Jack Canfield
- “Where globalization means, as it so often does, that the rich and powerful now have new means to further enrich and empower themselves at the cost of the poorer and weaker, we have a responsibility to protest in the name of universal freedom.” ~ Nelson Mandela
- “How we see and hold the full range of our experiences in our minds and in our hearts makes an enormous difference in the quality of this journey we are on and what it means to us. It can influence where we go, what happens, what we learn, and how we feel along the way.” ~ Jon Kabat-Zinn
- “You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don’t make money your goal. Instead pursue the things you love doing and then do them so well that people can’t take their eyes off of you.” ~ Maya Angelou
- “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.” ~ Helen Keller
- ” Be very careful what you say to yourself because someone very important is listening… You!” ~John Assaraf
Happy New Year!